Thursday, August 20, 2009

What do you think about cholesterol?

OK, here's what I'm thinking. I have a hunch that even if I let my cholesterol go higher, it will not be a problem for me. My triglycerides have been high forever. My cardiologist says the best thing I can do for my heart is keep my insulin under control. I have been reading some online articles that talk about our over-emphasis on cholesterol, and actually some conditions that are exacerbated by the cholesterol-lowering statin drugs, which I have been on for quite a few years.

I'm thinking I want to quit my cholesterol medications--tricor and vytorin (zocor and zetia) and see what happens. Some doctors say that in women my age, using these drugs actually increase the risk of diabetes and polyneuropathy (which started after I had been on statins a few years--also my pre-diabetes diagnosis came later.) I still have more research to do, but I am getting to be suspicious of pharmaceutical claims and actually do believe that there is a lot of bogus research out there, funded by drug companies, to make money. (Does D & C 89: 4 ring a bell?) A lot of what I'm reading is making sense. I don't want to invite an early death; on the other hand, I am not obsessed with living long past my prime, either.

I won't just suddenly quit them all, I'll work with my doctor, but there are ways to tell my heart health independently of my blood lipids! My cardiologist acknowledged that there isn't a definite connection; or at least there are plenty of exceptions in using cholesterol to predict coronary heart disease. Besides, I have dilated cardiomyopathy. That is my quota of life-threatening conditions!

Opinions, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. I would fully support you in going off the cholesterol meds. I'm interested in how it all works out because I'm already on the high cholesterol band wagon, and I'm skeptical about seeing it as a measure of my heart health.

    David has been a great influence on you and your attitudes toward pharmaceuticals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on one high cholesterol med (simvastatin -- not sure of the real name) and I think it's bunk. I don't always do exactly as the doctors say if it seems contrary to what my body needs, like if it gives bad side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW -- why are you still deciding what to be when you grow up? Aren't you almost 70, old woman??

    Also -- we have a box that might be your stuff, including Wilma/Billie's 1937 high school yearbook. That was cool to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cholesterol? I'm against it. I'm totally against cholesterol. Just so you're clear, I'm anti-cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete