Thursday, August 6, 2009

Superfun 36 hours

I have had the best time! Wednesday morning Carrie brought the kids over for breakfast. We had sweet potato pancakes, bacon and eggs, and it was really fun. They are such a cute bunch of kids, and it was nice to just sit and visit with Carrie for awhile.

After they left it was time for me to start on dinner for Andy's family. Amanda is finally feeling a little better--as long as I didn't fix anything for dinner that would make her barf--and so we had cantaloup and pollo mascado (otherwise known as "chewed up chicken") and corn on the cob and chips and beans. I made a crazy chocolate cake for dessert. It didn't get done in the middle, but fortunately the Peterson family (all of us) kind of likes it that way.

Maddy, Joel and Abe stayed overnight with me for the first time. We watched something wild in which people try to do a difficult obstacle course that has big balls and trapeze and mud underneath that they drop into when they miss. The kids quite like it but I cannot remember the name of it. Then we watched "Matilda" which they had brought over from their home collection. I had some treats for them, like Skittles and popcorn, which were Abe's primary interest, and the kids had made beds on the chairs in the living room and put some pillows on the floor for Abe. They were all super comfy, they said.

I let them watch TV for awhile and Maddy read. I went to bed and they pretty much settled down before I went to sleep. They woke up about 9 am (!) after which I woke up, got up and made crepes for them for breakfast. Best of all, they volunteered to weed my back yard, specifically the brick walk, a job that has been on my to-do list since before the cruise! They did a super good job and had a lot of fun doing it. I think if I play my cards right I might have some good helpers for the rest of the season. After they left it was cool enough for me to sit out on the deck for awhile, and it was really, really nice. As the weather gets cooler I'll probably do that a lot more often.

I am getting rid of my home phone line. I hardly ever get calls on it anyway. Only surveys and political solicitations. At least I don't ever get bill collectors any more! That is great!

Tonight I finished another star for my newest quilt project.

3 comments:

  1. No joke--we used to always watch "Matilda" with Maddy and Joel when we had sleepovers. That must be their official sleepover movie.

    Sounds like you had a fun day. Did you pay the kids to weed for you, or did they just think it would be fun to pull weeds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that obstacle course show is called "Wipe Out." I don't watch, but I know about stuff.

    Where's my damn quilt?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Libby, they just thought it was fun to pull weeds, but when I saw such a good job they did, I offered to pay them a little and of course they were thrilled. Now I need them to come back!!

    LeeAnn, yes it's called Wipeout... Sorry, your boys were born before I got the rejuvenated quilting bug. But maybe if you're good.....

    ReplyDelete