Well, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go to work, and the least onerous job I can find, I think, is as an adjunct instructor at UVU. I went over yesterday and talked to the coordinator of the Communication Dept. program and she asked me to teach a public speaking class the second half of summer term. So there I go! I have formally applied for the position. I should be able to get something in the fall, as well. It's a required course, so the book, syllabus, schedule, etc. are already determined. Shouldn't be too hard to do.
On Wed. I met with the dept. chair in business management and he introduced me to the person who coordinates their required communication class for business majors. She may ask me to do that class off-campus in Draper in the fall. So we'll see. It's not a lot of $$, but better than anything else I could probably find, and certainly better than substitute teaching!! Thanks to Libby and Ethan for getting me energized and organized with UVU info and incentives. They made it very easy by identifying the various contacts and suggesting approaches.
I also have applied for a couple of part-time positions at BYU, but I am sure than unless I make some contacts there with people I know, I won't have much chance of being hired. I'll see about that.
My resume would indicate that I can do bigger and better things than teach public speaking, but I don't know that I want to spend much energy. I would love to be involved with strategic planning, cultural changes, etc. but I think my time for that is past.
We have had a lovely snowstorm yesterday afternoon and overnight. It will surely all melt with 50 degree weather on its way, but I have enjoyed it for now.
That sounds like fun to be teaching on the college level--I can't think of anyone more qualified than you!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your new job! I think it sounds like a great fit for now. And enjoy the upcoming 50-degree weather... that sounds pretty heavenly right now!
ReplyDelete