Sunday, November 15, 2009

36 Hours of Great Fun!

The first Salt Lake City "Time Out For Women" was held Friday night and Saturday. A couple of months ago Sandra spotted the ad on the Deseret Book site, and since we could save $10 each by getting a group of 5 together, we decided to do it. So she and I and Molly and friend Angela and my niece Julianne Lusvardi signed up. With some last minute schedule and carpooling changes, it ended up that Julianne and I drove up together and Sandra and Molly and Angela went up earlier and had dinner before the 6:30 start. They got in line early and saved us some awesome seats!

Mark Lusvard had a coupon for a stay at the Marriott, which is directly across the street from the Salt Palace, so Julianne and I stayed there Friday night in a beautiful corner room. It was great, especially since the doors opened on the TOFW at 8:30 Saturday morning. Actually, Sandra and gang got there about the same time we did, but we got a little more sleep, I think!

Sheri Dew started the Time Out for Women program, and as CEO of Deseret Book, is heavily involved in it. She spoke, as did Wendy Watson Nelson. These two women are such wonderful examples of strong and bright women in the Church, who are willing to let others see their vulnerabilies and to share their heartaches as well as their testimonies. The music on Friday night was performed by Jenny Oaks Baker, a classical violinist who is excellent. I love violin, and I do have one of her CDs. She is a professional musician who played with the National Symphony (first violin) for 7 years and now is a part-time performer because she has several small children at home.

I would have gotten my money's worth if we had just ended at that, but we had more on Saturday with Hilary Weeks singing and talking and presentations by Mary Ellen Edmunds, S. Michael Wilcox, and a new speaker in the tour, Kris Belcher, who is blind. I loved hearing about her struggles to understand and submit to the Lord's will for her, and she has come to a place that she can view her experiences with great humor, and I really thought I was going to wet my pants, I laughed so hard! (Sadly, my kids know that is a real possibility!) It just couldn't have been a more uplifting and edifying day. And I haven't laughed so hard in years!

We ended about 4 pm, and being just a block or so from Siegfried's Deli, of course we had to go there for some early dinner. I don't know why I keep thinking it's on 300 South, and always have trouble finding it, because it is so easy to find just a couple of doors down from the Capitol Theatre. Anyway, it was freezing outside, had been snowing and was trying to snow more, but we found a parking place right across the street (I really do have good parking karma, as I keep telling everybody!) I had a pork steak, spaetzle, and red cabbage. Yummy! And of course a Ritter Sports bar (dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts) as an after-dinner treat. It was what I call a practically perfect day. Being with Julianne was such a joy. We have been friends for such a long time and have shared some difficult life experiences. She is a wonderful woman of God.

There were a few really important "take-aways" for me from this program, which I shall record privately. But one I want to share. I think this must be a primary element of Sheri Dew's mission on this earth--her testimony of the power of good women. She has frequently spoken about "women of God" and the influence that we have, and can and should have, in these latter days. She is an example. She has certainly had her own heartaches, not the least of which was to see her best friend Wendy Watson be courted by Elder Nelson and finally married. (She apparently was the duena for most of their dating, frequently in her home) after she herself has waited and yearned for her own eternal companion.

I admire and respect women who are willing to be real; who share their trials appropriately, and who do not minimize them under the flag of faith. At the same time they acknowledge that their faith has allowed them to learn and to move on. I think those speakers, those testimonies are so powerful. That's what my weekend was filled with.

Oh, one of my favorites comments by Wendy Watson was about her dislike of the typical Christmas letter describing the perfect family (while the rest of us try not to barf!). She says she wants to send out a Christmas greeting that quotes 2 Cor. 4:8-9 and ends with "Merry Christmas!" (You can look it up!) Don't be surprised if I do that this year!

I'm having a good Sabbath. I am looking forward to my little party tomorrow night and am not at all nervous about it. Yet!

Can't end without noting that I went to Andy's ward for their Primary program this morning. Joel and Maddy were of course very cute saying their parts. Abe did sit on the stand, we mostly saw the top of his head as he watched his shoes (or whatever.) Maybe next year he'll at least stand up and pretend he's going to say a line. Maddy and Joel are very kind and helpful to Abe. Andy and Amanda are such patient and kind parents, and I appreciate that they are teaching their children the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Since I had two of my own like that--Reed and Andy--I quite understand and don't expect the shyness will last forever. Although I have never understand why Andy wouldn't say a part on a program but he was more than happy to lip-sync to Weird Al in front of the whole school!

Sorry about the long blog. I guess that's why I don't do much on Facebook. I have way too much to say!

9 comments:

  1. >typical Christmas letter describing the perfect family

    Maybe I need to get new friends, because I don't get any like that.

    By the way, what did you do that was so bad that you had to be put in time out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knucklehead--Truth--you apparently don't have the right friends or else your experience with Christmas cards and letters is extremely limited. Christmas letters detailing everybody's kids' (including the dog's), annual exceptional achievements, are legendary. I'll have to forward one or two that I receive this year so you can be "enlightened." (You would actually probably know the people involved.) :) I really do try to be "happy for them" but truthfully, very barfy.

    What did I do so bad? Where do you want me to start?? :) Maybe having very negative feelings towards "Aren't my kids wonderful?" Christmas letters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the ones telling me what the members of the family have been doing, but nothing barf-worthy.

    Come to think of it, I'd rather hear about their successes than their failures, anyway. If I want to see failures, all I have to do is turn on CSPAN...

    And there's always http://failblog.org, of course.

    I do have to say, though, that if somebody tried to tell me about his or her pet's "achievements," I would likely discontinue all contact with that person immediately. (I'm always rather suspicious of people with pets anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone that I WOULD send a Christmas Letter to already reads my blog, so there's no reason to do it. However, Christmas letters are better than just a bland card, although I think cards are a HUGE waste of $.

    Pets me no likey. I hardly even paid attention to Music and the Spoken Word today because it was all about animals and pets.

    FailBlog is AWESOME, and a guaranteed way to get a laugh. Peopleofwalmart.com is funny, but in a really SAD way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time out for Women sounds wonderful. I love to go to things where I can come away renewed and ready to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Those websites are amazing. I'll need to remember them when I need a laugh. Great way to steer the conversation away from Time Out for Women...

    I'm just so sad to realize how much grief I've caused so many people because of my Christmas letters each year. I had no idea...

    Glad you had fun, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suggest-- http://watchpeoplegethurt.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kevin's right. And don't even try to feel ashamed about laughing. We're not laughing AT the person's suffering. We're laughing BECAUSE OF it.

    ReplyDelete