On Friday the 11th I drove to Richland, WA to stay for a week with sister-in-law Leah and enlist her help in quilting my latest little quilt.
We had a wonderful week, went to see "The Gondoliers", an old Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, had some fun lunches out, watched TV and Netflix movies, and just generally "hung out." Her daugher Collene and husband Pat Funk were there, so I had the opportunity of getting to know them a little better. They are both delightful and it was a pleasure to spend some time with them. They are looking for the right boat to buy to live on for a few years and travel the world! I drove back yesterday. It's a 10-11 hour drive, but I did OK. Very tired today, of course!
Leah and I finished the quilt, which I started for Kevin's son Wilder, now 2 yrs old, and finished now that #6, Rockwell, has arrived, so instead of cutting the quilt in half for each of them, I'm giving them a joint gift that they can share and fight over when they're old enough to care about "that quilt Grandma Judy made." I should have turned a piece up for the photo. The back is a red dinosaur print, which is in the blocks. It's very cute.
Today I received an email update from German daughter Ina, with photos of new baby Elisabeth and nearly 2-yr-old Magdalena, and of course, proud papa Germar. I'm sure eventually they'll fight like all sisters do, but for now it's so sweet to see the tenderness that Magdalena has for the baby. Kevin and Andy's children have been that way with their little ones, and it is so dear. (Sorry if I left out my older children. It's been so long, but I'm sure your kids were sweet with new babies, too!)
When I was younger I would never have dreamed that I would say "I just want to get my hands on that new baby!" but there it is. Although I have to admit I'm mostly keen on "my own" and not just any little baby I see! I really feel like "Oma" for Ina's little girls.
Ina has talked about maybe coming over here in the summer, but I don't know if they will want to do that with such a little baby. They will be in London another year and a half; then I don't know if he'll be stationed someplace else with NATO or if they'll go back to Germany, since Germar is a German officer.
Kevin's baby Rockwell was blessed a couple of weeks ago. I didn't take any photos, and I'm afraid I didn't download any from Kevin's Facebook to put some on. Next time. He is a darling baby, and like Kevin and Carrie's other children, very agreeable and good-natured. Meanwhile, 2 of Andy's boys are suffering with pink eye and ear infections!
Oh, and for anyone who is interested, my last Halterman aunt, Lois, died last week. She had been ill for some time. Just leaves my two Halterman uncles, one of which is 78 and the other just turned 86. I know they won't be here too much longer at best, but I plan to appreciate them while I can. And my sweet Aunt Rosie (Heywood) appears to be nearing the time when she will be able to go on to her sweet eternal companion, my Uncle Harold. She has been a treasure in our Heywood family and such an angel for her children and grandchildren. She was a big part of my early life. Last but not least,my dear Aunt Jeanne (Shadoan) Billman and her husband are the last ones of my Shadoan aunts and uncles. She shares my David's birthday, May 20, and will be 83. Again, many fond memories of this sweet Christian woman, and I hope she is around for many years to come.
I didn't plan this to be a eulogy for anyone! I just want to follow the counsel given to me once by Pres. Eyring's stepmother--"never let a generous thought go unheeded." One of many principles I wish I'd learned much earlier in my life! Reminds me of an old saying I used to see on plaques years ago: "Too soon old and too late smart!" Yeah, now I know what it means!
This time of year I have to face the fact that snowstorms are going to be fewer and shorter. Spring is on its way. Utah does have wonderful springs, which satisfies me a little!
I didn't even get started on the March birthdays--Link, LeeAnn, Libby, Christian, Marina, Josh, Adam...It's a big Peterson month!
Birthing and dying! Sounds like typical life all around you.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had fun at Leah's. Wish I could have done a nice trip, too!