Friday, February 25, 2011

Long time, no post!

Woke up to a white world this morning. Love it! The streets are clear but everything else is covered with snow. That's how I like it! Even though it has been fairly cold, the snowstorms have a "spring" feel to them, more wet and slushy than usual winter snow.






It has been a busy beginning to the year. I am very much enjoying my new class (both students and course, Introduction to Speech Communication) at UVU and I hope to teach it again. I'll be doing a Public Speaking evening class during the first block of summer, which will be nice. I think the coordinator would like to keep me busy every semester if she can, which I appreciate, although I am hoping I can start saving enough to take a semester off now and then.

On Valentine's Day I sang with two neighbors in an "Andrews Sisters" trio forour Crystal Cove Family Home Evening. We couldn't manage their WAC uniforms and khaki ties, so we did the next best with what we had. It was really fun, and of course all the "old folks" enjoyed it. But it took at least a week for me to get "Chattanooga Choo Choo" and "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" out of my mind! If you want to see videos of our performance, you can go on my Facebook page. Kevin and his family came so he could take a video. In the old days when I did lots of performances, video cameras were barely invented. I don't know how much my older kids remember seeing me in plays, etc. I would love to have movies of some of them!



Kevin's girls had a sleepover with me last Friday night, which was very fun. We went to see "Gnomeo and Juliet" and then came home and played their new favorite game "Parcheesi" with LeeAnn making a fourth. All the sugar from the movie candy kicked in and Echo was a riot! The next morning the rest of Kevin's family came over for pancakes, although he brought McDonalds breakfast stuff and a couple dozen doughnuts as well, since he personally doesn't like pancakes!

As if that weren't enough food, my branch had a pie social/contest that afternoon. I made Key Lime pie (David's favorite) but got there too late for the judging. (I wouldn't have won anyway...there were some really fancy pies.) I, being a major pieface, would love to have had at least one piece of each one there, but my pride and my practical side told me that would not be prudent, so I just filled my empty pie plate with several other pieces that I (reluctantly) shared with LeeAnn. Sorry, I forgot to take a photo of the pie. I will probably make another one soon to use more of the key lime juice, so I'll take one then. For the Stuart family's information, no, I don't use Lenore's recipe, which she liked to make for David. Sorry, I like mine better. :)

As always, Leland bought me Sees chocolates for Valentine's Day, and strangely he once again picked out ones I really like. Since he's been gone, I have always received my favorites, in contrast to when he was alive and could never remember what I liked. David didn't get me roses, though. I think maybe he's waiting for my birthday. Or just a special day when I need cheering up. I revealed these posthumous gifts to a group of friends recently, who though it was rather strange, but it makes perfect sense to me and I know it is what both David and Leland would want! :)

Finally got a land line so LeeAnn can use it. After she moves out I'll have it disconnected, probably.

Sunday night, Academy Awards--I haven't planned a glamorous party this year, but anybody who wants to come over and watch with me is invited. I'll have a few munchies, but you may want to bring some, too, since I'm only planning on a few of us unless I hear otherwise. Feel free to come in your jammies. It will be very casual. I am of course rooting for "The King's Speech" which was fantastic!



True Grit was really good, too, as was The Social Network. For once there are several good nominations that I could actually see!

I'll try to blog more frequently, although I don't have all that much to say. But I am never at a loss for words, either...:)

3 comments:

  1. Ummm...this is your blog site, and there's no video, so you might want to edit that line. Otherwise, I enjoyed the pics of the snow and I'm jealous cause I love pie, too, though cake is ALWAYS preferable. However, we don't go to ward socials if we can help it, so we'd have to just make our own.

    Still haven't seen "The King's Speech" or "True Grit," though they're on our Netflix list. Did you hear they're doing a PG-13 version of King's Speech to re-release?

    Warning about chocolate from dead people: 2x more fattening, and not really chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Kevin, I'm not a fan of pancakes (unless they are sweet potato pancakes), and like Andy, I would rather have cake.

    Those pictures could have been of our place on Friday. Same slushy snowstorm! But looks like you got a bit more than we did.

    It was really fun to watch the videos of you. I can't wait to see videos of you swing dancing at the next ward party!

    My vote is for The King's Speech. That, True Grit, and 127 Hours were my favorites this year. Inception was also amazing.

    I can't wait for Ethan to die, so I can start getting REALLY good presents from him! Okay, I would actually rather have him stay alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to admit this, but I was lost after 5 minutes of Inception. But at least I understood Lars and the Real Girl!...

    ReplyDelete