Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Deliver Us From Evil

I recommend a somewhat depressing but insightful and informative book by M. Scott Peck called "People of the Lie." It's a very interesting book by the man who wrote "The Road Less Traveled."

It explores the concept of evil on a personal basis; exposes the character and motivations of Satan; and compares Satan's behavior to the characteristics and behaviors of individuals around us who can therefore, by their similarity to Satan, be accurately described as "evil." Need to control others, a lack of empathy for others, and extreme self-centeredness (it's all about me!) are key characteristics of evil people. It is not necessary to be a robber or murderer or adulterer to be an evil person. While most of us probably know and/or associate with very few people who could truthfully be described this way, there are more than we may realize. And to be a sinner, which we all are, is not necessarily to be an "evil" person.

Evil is not a nice thing to consider; we would much prefer to avoid thinking of anyone in those terms. But when the Savior prayed, "Deliver us from evil", to what or whom was he referring? He obviously recognized that evil is not an occasional danger. He mentioned "temptation" separately, so it doesn't mean that. To protect ourselves from evil we must recognize what it is. And it isn't just a guy in a black hat!

3 comments:

  1. I liked Elder Holland's talk at this past (or the one before?) conference about how even the elect will be deceived. I totally agree that we can't always detect evil just by a certain affiliation or a manner of dress or a criminal record. That's what makes it so scary! But I think that once you really get to know someone, you can tell. It's difficult to hide one's motivations for too long.

    It reminds me of that book I loved when I was little. What was it called? Do You Know What I Know? Or something like that. The rough looking guy is secretly carrying a bouquet of flowers, and the nice looking guy is secretly holding a club. I wish I still had that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby, I have that book--I'm hoping to scan it all into the computer one of these days and make a digital-book version (including restoring a couple of the ripped pages/missing artwork.) I think it was called "I know Something You Don't Know."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was "I Know Something You Don't Know." It definitely is one of my favorite children's books and I think you all got the message I hoped you would! I don't suppose they sell it anyplace anymore. That was a loooong time ago!

    ReplyDelete