Mothers Day was sweet. All my (local) kids and grandkids came over on Saturday night. I did my first ever--and absolutely last!--take and bake pizza (from Costco.) Burned the first one, the second one dripped grease and the house was filled with smoke. Plus, I had thought they were only $5, should have just left when I saw they were $10. My brain wasn't working too well on Saturday, apparently. And everyone else brought a dessert. Now, why would we need 3 desserts??? (Thanks, Kevin, for the suggestion--"everybody else can bring dessert!") Two yellow cakes with chocolate frosting (family faves) and Carrie's famous pound cake. Kevin went out after 2 (3?) more pizzas and some breadsticks. Oh, my, it was crazy. But I love having everyone together. Handmade cards, lots of hugs, some Lindt truffles--what could be better. Libby gave me a really fun box of commonly used French phrases (c'est la vie, affair du coeur, etc.) for me to throw into my conversation when I want to imagine I'm in France. Davey sent a card and called, as well. He is always so thoughtful. Reed called me on Mothers Day to wish me happy day. I am looking forward to going to Tucson in June and bringing his youngest 3 boys back with me. Libby also called, but I had my phone off so I could sleep. Thanks, kids! I love you all!
Sometime during the night on Saturday a neuropathy gremlin took over my body and I awoke with a migraine in every joint and nerve, including my head. So I spent the day in bed on painkillers. Ironic because just Thursday my doctor was commenting how well I have been doing! My neck and head pain aren't actually connected to my neuropathy, so I don't know what that's about. Anyway, I am much better today, and I shouldn't complain because the last big flare up I had was before Christmas. That's pretty good!
Yesterday afternoon I watched the first episode of a program on the History Channel that I have been DVRing. I highly recommend it. It's called America: The Story of Us. It is always inspiring and humbling to be reminded of the huge challenges that had to be overcome in order for us to become a country. There were many victories that were clearly brought by the Lord's hand. And there was inspiration in military strategies and various innovations that Washington and others devised that were unheard of at the time. Oh, what a bloody war it was. I don't think I had known about the small pox break-out at Valley Forge and the experimental "innoculations" that they did to try to duplicate what was being done in Europe with vaccine. As if Valley Force weren't hardship enough as it was. I have to smile when I think about those patriot rebels and their distrust of govenment and fierce desire for independence. So many of our cultural values started way back then. We have a pretty impressive story! No wonder the Europeans think we're so strange!
Too bad your Costco pizza didn't work out because we've gotten them before and loved them. I'm sure we'd have them more often if Costco weren't 50 minutes away! Oh, so sad for us...
ReplyDeleteI'm also sorry to hear your neck virus is back. Not fun. I would tell you to go to a chiropractor, but I think you've lived to much of your life with your spine out of whack that it would take too long to get it back in place. So, don't go to a chiropractor. Just take pain pills.
I've seen commercials for America: The Story of Us, but I haven't watched it because I'm pretty much annoyed with the History Channel. True, they had some awesome shows once upon a time and maybe even still today, but they mostly just broadcast "Modern Marvels" (boring!) and different programs that are about aliens and conspiracy theories. It just makes me sad that this is supposedly history! Have you watched much on PBS of "American Experience"? Search for it, and DVR the "American Experience" episodes. They are typically very well done and about interesting topics. I think you'd like them.
I have actually gone to a chiropractor for my neuropathy and neck pain and because there isn't any misalignment or pinching, it wasn't the right treatment. I also have some arthritis starting in my lower back. Stretching exercises would probably help. But yeah, I'm probably just going to keep doing pain meds at this point!
ReplyDeleteI have watched some of the "American Experience" on my Netflix. I watched several at Scott's last summer and really liked them. I would really be interested in your opinion of this America series.
I should have just bought the already cooked Costco pizzas, which are super good. I really wasn't thinking, I guess. Hmm, fancy that! :)
Happy Mother's Day Judy! I really was not on the ball this year (we forgot to send a card to Ben's mom too - I was really embarrassed). I'm going to blame it on my week from you-know-where that lead up to Mother's Day.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the pizza disaster, and I hope your neck pain stays away now!!
Yeah, the ready-to-eat Costco pizzas are much better -- thicker crust, too.
ReplyDelete