Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Love the Winter Olympics!

It's figure skating heaven for me this week with the Olympics. I love having the competitions and seeing so many skaters! One of my "rich girl" fantasies is to be a figure skating groupie and go to all the competitions every year! The pairs competition finished first, and I thought the winners were spectacular. Since we don't really have great USA pairs, I was happy with the Chinese wins. I have watched Shen and Zhao for many years, and they are magnificent! The Russians have dominated the pairs for as long as I can remember, so it's nice to have somebody else for a change!

Tonight was the men's short program. I have followed Yevgeny Plushenko's career and was very happy to see his fantastic short program. I am also a great fan of Evan Lysacek, the best American, in my opinion. Another favorite, Brian Joubert of France, messed up and would have to have a phenomenal free skate to overcome it. The Japanese have created quite a strong figure skating culture, and two of their men are particularly strong.

I don't have as strong preferences for the ladies figure skaters. I think they perform first on Friday, since the men's long program is on Thursday. The ladies are the "divas" and are usually placed on the program for the maximum viewing audience. The favorite is (South) Korean Kim Yu Nah, and she is SO GOOD! There are two Japanese skaters who have been around quite awhile, her chief competition. None of the U.S. ladies seem to have what it takes right now to be serious contenders for Gold, in my opinion. But they will do us proud, just the same.

Our ice dancers, Belbin and Agosto, are very good, but the other American pair, I can't remember their names since they are new to me, (Davis and White?) have a chance, as well. Belbin and Agosto have been skating quite awhile so I have watched many of their routines. I think Tanith Belbin is just about the most gorgeous woman I have ever seen. Ice dancing is relatively new to the Olympic Games, so I have had limited exposure to it. The Italians used to be the consistent champions, so I'm looking forward to seeing if they have good competitors this time around.

I do enjoy the skiing, as well, but I don't follow that sport and don't know the big players. I'm DVRing the broadcasts so I can fast forward to the skating parts!

3 comments:

  1. Have you watched snowboarding? It was actually pretty cool. We watched the American guy go from fourth to first and win. It was pretty cool. Can you believe I'm actually watching the Olympics? This is our first time since we've been married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like snowboarding. And I really like the various ski events, also. Yeah, it's hard to believe you're watching the Olympics. Watching ANY sport! You must be maturing....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By "you must be maturing" do you mean that my life has gotten so boring, and I've gotten so tired, that I've resorted to watching the Winter Olympics? That's probably the likely answer. But maybe "maturing" means getting tired and boring....

    ReplyDelete